I’ve been using Jolicloud over the past 6 months and I have totally enjoyed my time. But like my quest to find the ultimate Jolicloud computer, I decided to make a wishlist of improvements to make Jolicloud an even better OS & environment. Most of these have been discussed on the Jolicloud GetSatisfaction site the past couple of months, but I’ve decided to collect them all here in one place.
These items are in no particular order.
- Folders – It would be great to have the ability to create folders on the desktop to organize all your apps. One method that could be used is by dragging & dropping multiple icons on one icon like can be done in Apple’s iOS.
- Text wrap for long icon names – Right now there’s about 14 characters that are allowed in the app’s name. After that it adds an ellipsis (…). Why not support wrapping the text to a second line? You can even support a pop-up tool-tip on hover.
- Transparent icons? – This is something I see a lot of complaints about. People don’t understand that there are apps & icons that are only available when running Joli OS. It would be nice if something more noticeable could be laid over the local app icons to show that they can’t be used when using the Jolicloud Chrome app or visiting My.Jolicloud.com.
- Better page navigation – Clicking on page numbers is OK, but it would be nicer to have arrows on the side of the desktop pages or the ability to click and drag pages. This would help out greatly for touch devices.
- Support more search engines – Right now you can search Jolicloud apps and friends or search Google. It would be great if you could customize your search bar to include search results from Bing, Dropbox, Wikipedia, Hulu, YouTube, Gmail, etc.
- Lighter color scheme – The dark color is great, but there are those out there that would rather have a lighter color scheme or something they can customize to fit their personality.
- Customize desktop grid – Saw this suggestion on Twitter(Thanks @BC3Tech). Would be nice to be able to choose how many rows & columns of icons you can have on your desktop. Two rows of 7 icons is fine for netbook displays, but desktops have lots more room.
- Creating custom web apps is to complicated – Custom web apps are basically bookmarks, but they are too complicated to make. Make it easier to create them from your browser by using some kind of plug-in or extension. While you’re at it, support the Favicon by default. This way you don’t have to go find your own, but can still use your own if you wish.
- Better custom web app maintenance – Once you’ve created your web app it would be nice to be able remove your custom web apps or edit it’s URL.
- Expand the “About You” profile – Add fields to your profile for social networks like Facebook, Twitter or linkedIn. Also support hyper-linking so you can link your own web page or other favorite sites.
- More Badges!! – I love the Badges you can earn on your profile, but it would great to expand those. Have fun with it. Try making it a social game.
- Picture Login – It would be nice to display your profile picture on the login screen similar to Chrome OS.
- More File Browser features – It would be great to be able to stop using Nautilus altogether. Please add support for adding new folders & moving/copying files via right-click or drag/drop. It would also be great to be able to upload directly to the cloud storage sites like Dropbox or Google Docs in one click. You can do something similar with the Cloud Save extension found in the Chrome Store.
- HTML5 Media Player – It would be nice to have a standard media player to play your music, video or photos(slide show) online or off like Chrome OS. To see what can be done with HTML5 & MP3 files click here.
- More “Connections” – Right now they have 3 Connections: Facebook, Dropbox & Google Docs. It would be nice to open up support for these Connections to other sites. Other companies & web developers could add support for their own services to the File Browser. That way Jolicloud won’t have to update it their-self. Just imagine being able to integrate whatever Cloud storage service to the File Browser like Amazon, Pogoplug, etc.
Those are my top suggestions for now. To see more or to let Jolicloud know about your own head over to the Jolicloud GetSatisfaction site. It’s a great resource for every Jolicloud user!
Thought I would post a quick update on something I’m currently working on. With a supposed Joli OS 1.3 update coming & the retail launch of Google’s Chromebooks coming up on June 15, I figure it would be nice to work on a wishlist of improvements & new features for what I want to see in future Jolicloud & Joli OS updates. I’m planning to have the article up sometime this week. In the mean time, if you have any ideas to make Jolicloud better, then post them in the comments section. I will try to highlight the best ones in my article. The future for Jolicloud looks bright!